The Controller will work in conjunction with the EG Finance Department and parent company and will be responsible for all accounting functions, from accounts payable to accounts receivable, GL account reconciliations, month-end closing processes, and internal audit. As the Controller, you will lead initiatives and be required to recommend and execute initiatives to build out the Accounting arm of the business and work cohesively with Finance, FP&A, and the parent company to support scalability and growth while ensuring compliance with GAAP controls.
The ideal candidate has experience successfully scaling a high-growth business or has extensive experience in accounting in a sports or FINRA-regulated financial business. A degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent relevant work experience and a CPA is a must. As our Controller, you will need a strong background in US GAAP Accounting Principles, a solid understanding of internal controls, and excellent strategy and communication skills.
Reporting to the CEO, you will regularly communicate with the EG’s functional leaders, auditors, and regulators, as well as the corporate accounting team at the parent company and investors.. Strong analytics, a process and automation mindset, and a self-starter attitude are necessary to excel in this role.
- Support the end-to-end accounting processes, including month end close, accounts payable, account reconciliations and accruals, and overall maintenance of EG’s accounting records in compliance with GAAP controls, local accounting requirements, and internal policies.
- Detailed reconciliation of the General Ledger and all Income Statement and Balance Sheet accounts.
- Responsible for compliance activities and a thorough understanding of SOX compliance protocols, including developing and executing internal controls.
- Responsible for maintaining and strategically implementing internal financial controls and processes on a scalable growth trajectory.
- Drive process documentation and enhancement reviews including writing, reviewing, and maintaining standard operating procedures
- Remain abreast of changes in the regulatory and GAAP frameworks that drive the regulatory reporting and financial functions
- Manage and drive positive outcomes with auditors, regulators, customers, leaders, and business partners.
- Consistently strengthen the processes and outcomes of general ledger and accounting systems
- Implement workflow and automate processes to minimize risk, dri
- Handle other financial duties as assigned
- Work with the Regulatory Reporting team to pull critical data for regulatory filings
- Handle audit requests for financial statement audit and regulatory exams
- Actively cross-train the team to provide back-up coverage for all team members
- Solve complex operational problems
- Actively lead or participate in firmwide and departmental projects and initiatives
- Serve as a supervisory control function for many internal control activities of the department
- Serve as a back-up and resource to department management for daily or ad-hoc tasks
- Ad hoc projects as required
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Accounting or Finance
- Public Accounting experience
- Experience in Oracle Netsuite, proficiency in Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, SharePoint, etc.) and G Suite (Gmail, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive, etc.)
- Minimum of 4-6 years relevant accounting experience
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrating the ability to connect and build relationships with clients, organization leadership, and peers
- Excellent business judgment, problem-solving, and decision-making abilities; proven ability to think outside of the box and innovate
- High integrity and accountability
- An exceptionally high degree of initiative and adaptability and the ability to work with numerous and conflicting deadlines
- A continuous improvement mindset with the ability to seek out and implement internal or external best practices
- Strong analytical abilities and perseverance to solve problems with high attention to detail
All Evil Geniuses are committed to the following:
- Striving for excellence
- Challenging the status quo
- Respecting all
- Seeking feedback
- Operating with grit and integrity
- Agility and Adaptability
- Owning their roles