- Working place Chicago
Gaming? Esports? Hardware? Software? SteelSeries has it all. Passionate about creating products that elevate the gamer’s game since 2001, we’re always seeking the next innovation to bring to the gaming and esports scene.
SUMMARY OF THE ROLE:
The Director of Marketing role is fast-paced and high impact, directly affecting the business and millions of gamers around the world every day- something not often found in huge companies or startups.
Reporting to the CMO, the Director of Marketing is an experienced, scrappy, “in-the-trenches”, digital brand marketer, able to develop and execute overall marketing strategy for SteelSeries to build brand affinity while adapting to the ever-changing demands of the business. Must be able to lead the development of global marketing campaigns, oversee approximately 30 global new product launches per year across a dozen product categories, and orchestrate ongoing consumer efforts, acting as a liaison between Brand/Product Management, Operations, Sales, and Creative teams.
The ideal candidate is both a highly strategic and “roll up one’s sleeves” executional marketer with extensive global gaming/esports experience across digital advertising, editorial content, email marketing, storytelling, brand building, marketing analytics, customer journey mapping, esports, and influencer marketing, and, importantly, integrated channel marketing to serve the region Sales and Marketing teams and the overall SteelSeries brand.
As well, the ideal candidate must be a proactive, collaborative, assertive, business-responsive leader who will quickly earn the respect of other functions and own day-to-day operations for a $500M business in a dynamic, fast-paced esports/gaming industry.
She/he/they will have direct managerial oversight to best-in-class marketing specialists in email, editorial (blog/copywriting), graphic design, integrated/channel marketing, and digital advertising channels, so knowledge and experience in these areas are paramount.
Additionally, she/he/they will work with peers who are the best Social Media, PR, Creative Storytellers, Brand Managers, and esports/Influencer marketers in the world to create cohesive, omnichannel campaigns and initiatives.
This role will interact with Global Marketing, Region Marketing, Software, Sales, Operations, Brand, Esports & Influencer, and Creative and external agency partners.
- Lead the development of global marketing strategies and holistic global marketing programs with creative big ideas, providing guidance to all subject matter experts for cohesive, omnichannel activation.
- Obsess over how SteelSeries can outsize its global marketing efforts versus competitors with 10X the spending power. Every day brings new challenges. This individual needs to constantly look for opportunities to be better than the competition.
- Own the customer journey, including collaborative, demand-generating plans for software integration.
- Understand that Global Marketing’s role is to serve the regions and facilitate activation that supports this.
- Define a compelling end-to-end consumer journey and constantly refine it to keep it relevant, effective, and at the forefront of communications.
- Own the marketing budget, driving efficiency of marketing spend and operating costs across relevant channels.
- Act as the key liaison between country-level marketers and global marketing, facilitating the gathering and sharing of best practices across regions.
- Ensure robust marketing programs and tools for all New Product Introductions (NPI) and marketing campaigns including trackers on NPI performance at retail and etail sites.
- Lead subject matter experts in the development of annual plans with a focus on KPIs that will deliver the business objectives of SteelSeries.
- Develop quarterly marketing playbooks for use by Sales teams for customer activation
- Manage day-to-day relationship with external ad agency partners, project manages/coordinates the development and delivery of projects across all functions.
- Work with relevant subject matter experts on the SteelSeries side to ensure synergy and collaboration across the brand.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or similar degree
- Minimum 10+ years of relevant experience in holistic digital and brand marketing
- Experience in gaming (preferably experience in gaming peripherals brand management but minimally a gamer him/herself/their self)
- Experience activating esports teams and influencers
- Experience managing a team of highly talented direct reports
- Leadership – Ability to articulate a vision, influence others, set a course of action and follow it through to completion; consistently models integrity, work ethic, and high standards of excellence; leads and develops self and others
- Bias for action/working with purpose – Works with a sense of urgency and purpose to develop and implement ideas that grow the business; willing to actively work alongside colleagues to get things done; consideration for impact of actions
- Effective Communication – Ability to clearly and concisely communicate verbally and in writing; able to think on one’s feet and participate in dynamic business/creative discussions
- Business acumen – Understands business metrics, market share and pricing data (NPD, GFK), consumer and insight analyses; ability to conduct comprehensive business analyses; knowledge of business planning, Sales and Marketing fundamentals, tracking and measurement techniques, competitive and marketplace assessment; quantitative and qualitative research and advertising development
- Critical thinking – Ability to think strategically, analytically, and creatively
- Consumer focus – Deep, holistic understanding of consumer beliefs, motivations and characteristics; expert understanding of brand architecture, positioning, and equity-building endeavors
- Creativity – Seeks the new, challenges the status quo, explores innovations and progressive new approaches and practices
- Confidence – Inspire others, build credibility through high-quality execution and follow-through, drive morale and proactively take on new challenges for themselves and their team, advise senior leaders on options that inform and drive strategy
- Collaboration – Establish clear shared goals, involve others in decision making and build productive relationships
Want to see what we’re up to? Find us on social media, where we’re highlighting our community, amazing, partners, and products!
Please note, SteelSeries US employment is contingent on proof of vaccination.